Monday, February 19, 2007

First Annual Presidents Day Blog

First New Years then Valentines Day. I guess my motivation to ramble comes only on important days on the American calender this year. President's Day is today in case the three of you were unaware of such knowledge, like almost 80% of the U.S. population is. In my thoughts today, which seem to be at an all time high lately(due largely to nothing), I started, of all things, thinking about this 'holiday'. When did it start and why? Well, I didn't know, and in stead of looking up the answer, I decided to think about something different. I started thinking on what it must take to be President of the United States of America. I asked my self if I thought I could be President. I quickly laughed at myself and told myself that I could not even be president of my five personalities. Don't worry this confused me too. But really, what does it takes to have the nerve and desire to be President of something so big and important? To me, Presidents basically are the most important man in the world, most people hate them for one reason or the other and every phrase, thought and movement is dissected to death on news shows 24 hours a day. What would make some one want this. 'Crazy' seemed to jump to my brain first, but after maybe 2 hours of believing it just takes being crazy to want to be President, another word popped into my dome. 'Leadership'. All the Presidents that I have not read to much about have all had heeps of this. They all seem to be born leaders. But what makes a leader? I of course, wanted to know the answer without looking it up. After making up a few unacceptable answers, I did some research for once. From the qualities I found that make up a leader I wanted to make myself of questioner to determine weather or not I have in me, and in turn the craziness to become president of the free world. I basically wanted to prove my personalities wrong. You can take the quick test too. See if you have what the qualities of a LEADER!
1. DO YOU DISPLAY WISDOM IN ALL AREAS OF LIFE?
This is a tough one to answer. It is well known that I have more gray hair then my grandma so I have always told myself that this salt and pepper look is really groups of 'wisdom streaks.' So I want to say yes here, but I am afraid that the real reason of all this gray hair is actually due to lack of wisdom in all areas of life. Mainly the area that controls the sense of when to go to bed and not stay up till all hours writing sinceless babble. So I guess this is a 'most likely no'.
2. DO YOU HAVE A CLEAR VISION OF WHAT YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH IN LIFE?
I have such bad eye sight that I depend heavily on my contacts and glasses to even see 10 feet. As far as a vision of my life, I would have to describe it more as I have clear daydreams. Is that the same? I have a clear vision of where I want to end up(on my own personal island living in an open air mansion, married to an amazing woman, with 4 perfect children and a large lab named Teddy) The part of the vision that is not so clear, is how the heck to get to that! So I will answer a 'maybe' for this one.
3. DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE DIFFICULT OR UNPOPULAR DECISIONS?
Being a well documented over thinker, making a decision on something seems harder for me then balancing sharpened pencils on my nose. (Yes, surprisingly I am quite good at this) I can think myself out of making decisions that are simple for most people. I blame this on George Bush because that seems to be popular, and I guess I have to answer with a 'no' here.
4. ARE YOU A RISK TAKER, WITH COURAGE TO ACT IN UNCERTAIN SITUATIONS?
I think I am a risk taker. I drive with out a seatbelt on way too much. I have gone 7 years without health insurance. And I have invented the 'back in' dance. All of these are risky and dangerous to my health. Since, I don't even understand the last part of the question(I assume uncertain situations are talking about the opposite sex) I will just go out on a thin weak limb high up in the air and answer 'yes' for the sheer risk of it.
5. LEADERS KNOW THEIR OWN STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES, DO YOU POSSESS A SELF-KNOWLEDGE?
I am more in tuned with my strengths and weaknesses then most people. Then again most people are probably not as tough a judge as I am. I like to write yet I have no grammatical tailent. I think a strength is dancing but a weakness is denial. I will say yes to this be cause making things up is a strength.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?
Blue. Which I think is not good. Most leaders pick red because it stands for power and blood.
Ok, I know you don't want to read anymore questions because you all have gotten them all right so far. I don't want to come up with anymore because the writing is on the wall. I have what looks like a C- on this quiz. So, maybe I am not ready to be President of the United States just yet. But does that even bother me one bit!? Well, to be honest it crushes me. But that is not the point. I feel that leadership is in each of us. Some happen to have so much that it makes others sick. Some have so little it makes themselves sick. Some use their leadership skills to run the nation. Some use their leadership to run a corporation. Some to run a church. Some to run a small business. Some use it to run a gang that kills people. Some though use it to lead just one person. To help just one person. To encourage one person. So on Presidents Day lets remember the 43 Presidents that have been true leaders. Lets also remember that one person, that one leader, that has led us to do something positive with our lives.
Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would so vote for you and help you burn pictures of everything you have done over the past five years :)

ash

confidence