Monday, March 05, 2007

Running and Reading = Old Guy

There are not many nights that I have nothing to say. There are just few nights lately that I have had any time to sit down and bore you. Tonight is another one of those nights, but I am going to do it anyways. I have one of those life changing years so far this year. No, I did not win the lottery, inherit the playboy mansion or get a date. I simply have gotten older with out even turning another year older(yet). This may seem strange but I have traced it to a few things that have happened in my life over the past few months. Unstrangely enough they each start with the letter R.
Running - I have been doing some serious running over the past eight weeks. I have been enjoying it. I have run more then I ever have in my life. I have even paid good money to have someone tell me how fast and how long to run on a tread mill. I know that this seems like a task that should be and is free to 100% of the world, but like $12,000 shoes if people are willing to pay money then there are people that will charge. I am one of these people. I have paid money to be in a running class, in which I wake up earlier then I usually want to, run further then I usually want to, but I have felt better then I am usually used to. So you may be wondering, "why does this make you feel old Kevin?" Well, being in this class and if I can brag for a second, kicking this classes butt, I have the notion that I, a 28 year old owner of Asics, am in tip-top shape. I just needed a way to prove this, so I entered a flag football tournament. Yes, the same one that I entered last year and I wrote a blog about how much of a wuss I was. Well, I was bound and determined to kick the butt of this tournament, just as I was doing to my running class. I will try to sum this story up in one sentence. After nearly breaking my thumb on the first play, bloodying not just both knees but both elbows, my thigh, shoulder, hip, not to mention having chapped lips I played in five games in one long windy day, finishing the day in the semifinals with a tough loss. Sounds, like just a good tough day of football right? Anyone who has kicked a running classes butt can handle that with ease right? Well that was ten 9 days ago and I had my best morning yet this morning, for I was able to get out of bed and make it to the bathroom without crying and in under thirty minutes for the first time. I was obviously not in shape. Running has helped prove that. If it is running on a rubber surface at a steady speed, I can do it. If it is anything else, I can not. I am old.
Reading - I have been doing some serious reading over the past eight weeks. I have enjoyed reading. Although I have not over come the hurtle of being able to finish a book, I sure have had a good time starting them. I carry a book with me everywhere I go now. If I have a few spare minutes I give that book a good reading. I believe in total I have started 4 books, making it halfway through two of them. While I like to assume I will finish all four of these, it will probably just end up like most of my dates. Wait i just remembered you have to have to go on a date to use dating as an analogy. So back to reading... I have liked getting lost in other peoples words, much like I like getting lost in movies. Reading is fun and it helps keep the mind sharp. So, you may be wondering, "why does this make you feel old Kevin?" Well, the reading has not necessarily made me feel old, it is what I have given up to read. Example, I was just in one of the biggest malls in the world this past weekend in Houston, and instead of doing what most young modestly dorky people do, which is use this time to shop for clothes that make them less modestly dorky, I hung out in the book store for 3 hours and looked through travel books and sipped on a latte. I then bought a book and went and sat outside a trendy looking store and people watched, sitting next two really old men with stains all down their shirt. Not only did this make me feel old and trendy, It caused me to check my shirt for stains. I found two, what looked like drips of latte. I am old.
Being old is not all that bad though...of course i can't Remember why.
Until next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have only just begun to live Kevin :)
and you have to ask girls out to go on dates :)

ash

Anonymous said...

Did our late night talk about running and reading inspire this blog Kevin, ha ha. I think if you can stay up until 530am you are not old:)

Anonymous said...

this is great...embracing aging...i found three white hairs...i laughed to stop myself from crying.