Friday, October 14, 2005

The Speed of Sound and Other Things...

Ok, Let me start of with this. I am in a hurry this evening, so I might not have a very good blog. I realise I am assuming that I always have good blogs, for me to say that this one might be so different from the other ones that I would have to preface it with an appology. But I have so many destractions in my life right now, non of which being controled by a girlfirend(sorry mom and dad). I am trying to successfully juggle Astros's playoff baseball(they won tonight), T.V. Shows(I watched Amazing Race and Lost last night), DVD's (I watched an entire season of The Office Just earlier), working out(I am almost comfortable wearing my shirts with the top button undone now), and vegas trip planning(I am traveling to Las Vegas in 14 days with three friends and some other people I don't like.) So, needless to say I am a little over taxed with tasks, all of which keep fighting to take top priority. In fact DVD's, TV, and Sports just did an amazing leap and all at once jumped in front of working out over the past few days. But enouph with the apologies. Lets get on with the blog, because like I said, I am in a hurry.

I watched the Discovery Channel sometime in April and I vaguely remember that they talked about how sound actually had a speed. I didn't much pay attention at the time so all my facts might not be acurate but this afternoon at work I started to think back on that show. I was trying to remember exactly how fact the speed of sound was. I am not bragging but to be able to run the 800 meter dash in just over 2 minutes like I did in high school is fast, but it seems that the scientists on the show where saying that sound was much faster then that. I am not positive because I had the T.V. on mute half the time, but I remember them showing a jet over and over. So I am going to suggest that the sound of speed is slightly slower then that of a speeding jet. But again I can't be sure because, I did turn the program to Montel Williams after like five minutes. So, on to other stuff....

Untill next time. (Sorry about the crappy blog)

1 comment:

Tim said...

Shall I be the dork? The speed of sound is approximately 300 meters per second but it depends on many factors. Unlike light, sound requires a medium of transmission and therefore is quite variable depending on the density of the medium, young's modulus and things like that. Technically speaking, One mach is the speed of sound. And yes, jets have traveled faster than mach 3. Thats 3 times the speed of sound.

Sound runs the 800 meter dash in about 2.667 seconds.

Light is what is interesting, sound is boring. Try Einstein's theory of relativity. That is interesting stuff.