Monday, June 12, 2006

The World Cup o' Tea

Let me start with a quick explanation of why I have not written a blog in over two months. I was conducting a test. I wanted to see if anyone would miss my blog. And since only one person did I just about gave up on it. But that one person, kept hounding me to write another one, so I gave in and am back at it. Oh yeah that one person, was me. "So, lets get started, Kev." "OK! Kev"

June is proving to be a busy month for sports fans. I will attempt to share with you(and when I say you I am implying me)my incite on each of the sporting events that seem to be filling this month. I guess I will go in order of importance starting with the least meaningful and shall end with the best, mainly because that is how I would like to read it.

WNBA Regular Season
- I have to admit that I am not a fan of women's basketball. It has too slow of a pace and not enouph dunking. Strangely enouph, if you took down every persons name that attended a WNBA game and compared it to the Legalizing Gay Marriage petition, they would be about 90% identical.


NHL Championships
- This seems like a sport I would really like. I like to skate. I like physical play. There is no jumping involved. And it would be perfect for my short temper. The thing is living in Texas my whole life I was never introduced to the sport. So I just small glimpses of it here and there. Though I like to watch the fighting and I like to see people get splattered into the wall, I still can not put it above any of the sports left.


College Softball Championships
- I have to admit that I do like to watch girls softball. Just in little doses. Though there is a good amount of "butch" softball gals, I find that over half are an athletic hot. They don't get higher on my list of June sports though because they chant the entire game in unison, and they all throw like girls.

Major League Baseball - There is a reason most people you talk to about baseball say it is boring. That is because it is. I can really only watch baseball in the Fall and only then because we only have football on the weekends. Lately all you hear about baseball is the fact that almost 75% of the players are cheating dummies and their leader is Barry Bonds, so that has turned me off of baseball for the month at least.

College Baseball Championships - To me college sports are always more exciting then their professional counterpart, except in table tennis, the pros rule that one. So for baseball it is nice to see true competition going on in June, from athletes that play for the right reasons. Well, they play there asses off so that they can make it to the big leagues to play for money instead of for love of the game. If bikini clad women would walk the bases holding up what inning was about to start I think attendance would go up.

Wimbleton - Tennis is great to watch, when I remember too. The women's field is filled with scrumptious eye candy, and the men's field is so deep right now that it makes for good matches all around. But now to talk a bit about the down side of tennis. It does get a bit repetitive, and there are next to zero fights.

NBA championships - I do love the NBA. I am just really mad at it right now, so it is with great effort to put it this high. I can not believe David Stern scripted the Spurs to lose to Dallas. Though I am banning the Finals this year because I am bitter and a sore loser, I have really loved the Finals 3 out of the last 8 years. The Spurs are still Champions in my eyes. I have been wearing the pair of disposible contacts for over 2 months though.

THE WORLD CUP
- The World Cup for those of you that do not know is the Championships for Soccer. Not the US Championships, the WORLD Championships. Teams play for 4 years to qualify for the chance to be one of 32 teams to be invited to play. This is really the truest world contest there is. I heard that audience wise, it is four times larger then the Olympics, so that means it is a really big deal. It has taken hold of me as well this month. It is the only sporting event I have watched. I have watched all or part of every game that has been on so far, which shows I am a true fan, and that I am still single. Countries pause their lives for one full month while they follow their countries progress in the Cup. The USA does not. I wish we would be cause not only is it fun to watch(I know this is a controversial statement, but I also know that I exaggerated a bit too), but I think it would be more fun to be a fan of the game. They have more team spirit then any fans I have ever seen, besides some Raiders fans. They get to riot and it is encouraged, I think. I mean look at these fans.

Where else can you see this kind of pure enjoyment, besides Chuck E. Cheese of course. So I challenge all of you(me) to watch The World Cup this month. You might find out that is better then you though, better then all these other sports going on right now. Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed your blog Kevin... for awhile... then I forgot all about it when I got sucked into the myspace cult.. thanks to you!

Funny again.. You should be a sportswriter... you make me want to watch World Cup too..