Thursday, March 22, 2007

How to write a blog.

I know it is not polite to start a paragraph with I, but I just did it, and I did it because I can. That is the power I have over not only my hands to make them type the capital i, but also over the format and topic of this and every blog I create. This is truly the one and only thing I have complete control over. Ok, so I do depend on one million computer dorks that are in a basement somewhere making sure that the internet works. But as far as what I write and what I don't write, I have the final say. Thinking on this has empowered me a bit. I wish I could have that kind of control in other areas of my life, but I will take what I can, and the fact that in the span of a little over two years I have been doodling on this thing no one has had any influence on it except me! Of course no one has ever read it, but that is beside the point. I know that there are allot of bloggers out there, but I don't see why blogging is not more popular hobby. I know you are thinking about the fact that 95% of the blogging population are 28 year old males, living at home and are a scary shade of pale white, but that is beside the point. Writing a blog is easy. Given if you are a terrible speler and penmenship is not your best tallent, it can get frustrating, I still think it is about the easiest thing in one's life to do. I know you are pondering, it is only easy because it does not involve going on first dates and meeting people, but that is beside the point. It is a hobby in which you are in a position to do things how you want and, depending on how often you write a blog, how how often you want. You are basically your own boss. I have found however the pay is nothing, and the hours tend to cause Walmart bag shaped blackness under the eyes. These are such little set backs that I can still not fathom that blogging has not become a hit among "cool" people. I came to a quick awful conclution that it is possible that blogging is not cool. I quickly squashed that thought(because I am in charge mind you), and decided it is because no one has ever really take the time to share with all non-bloggers exactly how to write a blog. So I came up with a few guidelines that may help you start a hobby that will help you lose that unwanted tan. Here are just four easy steps, because too many more and even I would stop reading.

1. BUILD an IDEA - An idea is not formed from an imaginary friend sitting on your shoulder telling you what to write about, unless of course you are 28 living at home and are a scary shade of pale white. But that is beside the point. A idea for a blog needs to be built. It can start at any time during the day, most likely when you least exspect it. You will know when you have an idea, because you think about this idea for more then a few seconds. There are blogs I suppose that go on and on about what you think about the hot person in the car next to you so be careful what you let start being a thought you want to build. I usually am driving and thinking. Ok, so I am usually thinking no matter what I am doing so I get ideas in my head constantly, but sometimes one hits me with such force that I, blink, shut my jaw and I ponder this thought. I play with it all day. I usually obsess over it right up until I get to the computer, and then I go blank. This is just me though. I suggest you hold onto the thought until you have finished the next three steps.

2. LIKE your IDEA - A blog will not be written if you do not like the subject of your blog. No matter what you are writing about make sure you like it. I think this is real important. The reason this is important i found is that you might be the only person to read your blog. So make sure it is something you like. I have been a fledgling blog writer for well over 23 months, and the total number of readers to have commented in the blog are 7. While this is 700% more then 99% of blogs I always aim to reach more readers. This is why I have considered paying people to read it.

3. OPINIONATE you IDEA - Each day I am almost certain everybody in the world has the exact same idea as at least 10 other people at any given time. So when it comes time to blogging about this idea you need to make it your own by adding your opinion. The great thing about opinions is that they put your own personal twist on an idea. Make the blog your own. If you want a serious blog about the politics of global warming you can do that, but just to warn you, you will never reach 7 readers status. Not unless of course, you add some opinions that spice up the old boring earth is dying talk. You can even make up your opinion if you get stuck. That is the beauty of writing your own blog. Not everything has to be correct, you do not need to cite sources for your research. Make the blog your own by making it one of a kind, or just add a catch phrase to the bottom to make it seem one of a kind.

4. GROW your IDEA - No one like a short little blog that they can skim through and be done with in a few minutes and be on to their day. Well I hope not anyways. Readers want to hear about a small paltry idea that they can tell you like, that they can tell your opinionated about but most importantly that you can go on and on about. I find this the easiest part of any blog. In actuality the word idea is short and puny looking but its meaning is endless. Ideas are not meant to be bottled up and shared in fragments. They are meant to be shared in volume until everyone is so glued to the blog and this idea that they can not get it out of their head for the rest of the day, or then again they could hate it. But that is beside the point.

The point it that blogging should be something everyone is proud of. For every single person in the world can blog. Of course to do it right, you need to be one of the 21% of the worlds population that have access to the internet and a computer. You will also need to remember the most important thing before you sit to write your first blog. An Idea.

Build this idea
Like this idea
Opinionate this idea
Grow this idea.

Until next time.