Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Asleep at the Wheel and Birthdays

Well, it has been a while since I have updated my dork hobby. But the wait is over. I have been a bit busy over the past few days however. It is due to my other dork hobby, X-box. Halo 2 to be exact. My roommates, friends, neighbors, strangers and grandparents are all better at me on it. I have come to the realization that I am horrible at video games and need to stick to things like watching movies. I can do that better then every one except Ebert. Anyways, a notion(Def.-a bad idea compounded into a plan) popped into my head about four days ago that if I practice for 78 straight hours on the X-box that I might become competitive. Well, I tried it and it did not work. I only became a time bomb of frustration, my blood pressure went way up, and I only slept 2 hours over this period of time. A time bomb can be diffused and blood pressure can be lowered(by drinking koolade I think), but catching up on sleep is not easy. You look for little spots during the day to rest; like at lunch, during lectures by the boss, and in extreme cases while driving. I did not fall asleep at the wheel on Monday night, but I thought I was dreaming when a king size bed was about 15 feet in front of me, while driving 70 down the highway. I don't know about you but when I see a mattress in my lane on the highway my first thought is not "I wonder if I could squeeze in an hour of sleep on that." My thought went more like this, "That's a mat... *@#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I swerved out of the way. Now let me tell you first off what my experience in handling an out of control vehicle is. None, unless you count me watching hours of The Dukes of Hazard. Well as you most likely guessed, this should have caused me to roll over, go under a truck shoot out the back into the oncoming traffic, bounce around 6 more cars, and end up in a lake with a lot of pointy rocks. But I did what any screaming baby does when there brand new car is spinning down the highway, I closed my eyes and prayed. This allowed me to miss everything except the concrete wall, which I slid into like a baseball player. Thing is, I was out. The wall won. The wall retrieved paint samples from the front and rear bumpers, dislodged a important metal part from under my car, and made my nice rim look not nice. The car came away with 13 stiches and a cast on the front driver side tire, and I came out with wide eyes and smelly pants. I do not remember if I shed a tear but that is not important, what is important is that you might when I tell you that this happened on the eve of my 27th birthday, in my new car, that I have yet to make a car payment on. I guess I am just looking for pity. The important thing is that, waiting on the cop to get the crash site I managed to get in about twenty minutes of sleep. Speaking of birthdays, April is a Birthday filled month for the Morris's. There is MINE and a few others. My great older sister, who taught me how to always know what streets are parallel to the street that you are on, her birthday was 2 days before mine. I meant to let her know how much I love her on her Birthday but I was on hour 54 of my X-Box mar-a-thon, so I told her when she called me on mine(sorry). My nephew Ryan turns 7 three days after my birthday. So that is the one the whole family really looks forward too! Anyways. It has been a pretty good birthday so far today, but now I must get some rest. I have to get up early to walk to work to marrow while my car is still in recovery. Until next time.

No comments: