Friday, December 09, 2005

Comparison: Lifetime Fitness / buffet King

Ok, So I have covered the notion that I can somewhat dose off in my mind during a long day at work or even a short day at the beach, and I even gave you an example of one of my daydreams. The following will be basically my thought process after a rouph week of work, while at lunch on a Thursday, by myself over a bowl of wan-ton soup with extra crunchies. Let me further explain that working in a mail center in December is about as busy as trying to mail packages at a mail center in December. It is hard on the feet. My feet to be exact, and unlike most humans I believe my feet are attached in some weird way straight to my brain. When my feet hurt my mind hurts, causing me to even lose function of my appendages at times. Hence the sweet and sour stain on my yellow shirt. Anyways, Point is when my feet hurt I tend to think upon pretty much anything: travels I'd like to take, girls I'd like to take out, bumper sticker sayings, and comparisons. And today while eating I was thinking pretty intently on the differences and similarities between a work out facility like Lifetime Fitness and a Chinese buffet like Buffet King. Here are my delusions.

similarities: I am starting with similarities because I bet you can think of non right off the bat. Am I right? I know I am. Well, I know of four off the top of my 8 1/4 head.
1. SIZE - Both of these businesses seem to think that if they build an establishment large enouph, it will atract the masses. And it has. I for one am joining Lifetime Fitness this weekend, mainly because the building is just so huge; and I ate at Buffet King this afternoon mainly because I was cold and wanted some soup, but also because it was huge. So there is no denying that these two places are very alike in the fact that they are larger then any of their competition.
2. VARIETY - Who else offers a workout facility that can accommodate 2,000 people at once and still have room for a Sweaten' to the Oldies class? Only one I know of is Lifetime Fitness. They have over two thousand different machines and whatnot for you to look at while pretending not to look at flesh. Where else can you find 75 different types of food(other then H.E.B. and a porta-potty)? Given there are a few buffets in Las Vegas that I have talked about but the correct answer is Buffet King, here in San Antonio. I believe that they have the widest variety of food in town, although I did wonder why my fillet of fish tasted just like the Teryaki chicken. At Lifetime you can not only workout you can play basketball, climb a rock wall, eat dinner, get your hair done, swim, go on water slides, buy drugs and so much more. At Buffet King you can eat a cheese stick, wan-ton soup, fried crab ball, rice, sesame beef, BlueBell ice cream, a Bud Light and so much more all at once. What it comes down too is you could live in either of these places for a year and still not try everything, not with out growing fat or fit.
3. UNNECESSARY/NECESSARY STAFF -
These have got to be the only to businesses(I'm talking fitness centers and Chinese buffets in general) where the same employee seems to be the most unnecessary and necessary at the same time. I would compare a personal trainer to the guy or girl that is always walking around the buffet stirring the food. Let me explain. Why does a gym need a personal trainer? Is it really that hard to lift a few weights and jog on a machine by yourself? But then you see who they are normally training and it is either the really really out of shape(fat) people or the really hot women. So I would think that no gym needs these workers because everything is pretty self explanatory, but then again they are needed to get the big smaller and the hot hotter. And to compare it to the guy or girl stirring the food. If they only prepared fresh food then this person would not be necessary but since they use the same food as last week it is necessary to pay some one to keep the gross food pretty and the cold food hot.
4. LITTLE THINGS - Both of these business seem to pay attention to the little things. Buffet King smartly give you a napkin right when you walk in the door and then set a stack of fifty on your table once you sit down, they order chairs that could hold a small car on it, they give you fortune cookies after your meal to make you feel good when your stomach doesn't, they keep a guy or girl on staff to make sure the food is stirred and looking edible, and they arrange the restaurant in a way that makes the whole food area the most glorious place in the land. Lifetime Fitness pays attention too. They provide towels for you upon arrival, they make it were everything is free if you have your membership card with you and then they conveniently charge your credit card, they smartly place hot girls on the Stair masters near the entrance, and they always smile at you when you walk in. Little things help each of these establishment run smoothly.

Difference(s): Quickly think of 10 differences! Ha, I bet you can't think of any now that you realize how similar they are. In fact I can only think of one difference. It is that you work out at one place and eat at the other. Duh.

Well as you can tell my feet still hurt because I had no control over my hands. Or my thoughts. The next blog will be bigger and better then ever. Kinda like me after a year in the Lifetime Buffet and the Fitness King. Until next time.

No comments: