Sunday, February 20, 2005

These are a few of my favorite things...

Have you ever had your favorite thing change on you? It happens to me all the time. I'll like one show, CD or movie a whole bunch, thinking that I could listen/watch this every day for eternity, and be happy, only to realize that a month later, the CD that was my favorite has changed without any specific time where I remember changing it. That sentence was confusing, here it is in Kevin terms, listed below are a few of my favorite things, as of Sunday, Feb 20th, 2005:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
Cream colored ponies and crispapple strudel
Doorbells and sleighbells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
Girls in white dresses and blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on your nose and eye lashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

No really here are a few of my favorite things.

MUSIC. This is one area where one favorite has been consistent for the past 8 years. And that is Ben Folds, formerly Ben Fold Five. I am a fan of the piano, so I pretty much like any band that incorporates a piano in their stuff. I like the kazoo as well, but I have not found many bands that use this as a dominant instrument. One that is close is Squirrel Nut Zipper. I am really into this band now, to put it in the words of a music dork. They have had nothing new for a while and it is a bit odd but try it, its kind of like quiche you might like it. Some other favs of the moment would be Dave Matthews Band, Cake, George Straight, John Denver, Dwight Yoakum, Josh Groban, Gavin Degraw and most songs by Barney.

TV SHOWS
. Hands down my favorite is The Amazing Race Probably stems from my desire to travel the world and live off a billion dollar trust fund. I live vicariously through the contestants. I know for certain that Jay and I would win the million dollars if we were to get picked to be on it. We haven been picked yet, mainly because we haven't signed up. By the way a new season starts up on March 1st, at 8:00 on CBS. Survivor used to be one of my favorites but I have not seen the last five seasons of it. I was a big fan of the first two. I really like most of the shows that HBO offer as well. I tend to rent the shows on DVD. I prefer Six Feet Under, Sopranos and OZ . And of course the staple would be SportsCenter, oh yeah, and Dora the Explorer.

DVD's I have a little over 230 DVD's and I do not buy one unless it is my favorite at the time, so let me just list them all. Kidding. One stand out is Dumb and Dumber , I don't know if I am proud of the fact, but I can recite the whole movie word for word. I even know the body language. And I know it all in Spanish too. Anyways, here is a quick list of a top ten for me in no particular order.
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - what's better then a hobbit saving the world
2. The Godfather Trilogy - what's better then horse heads in the bed
3. M. Night Shyamalan Films. In order Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village
4. Fight Club - what is better then selling soap and beating yourself up
5. Gladiator - what is better then 2 hours of super violence and death
6. Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, The Red Dragon - what is better then Sir Anthony Hopkins
7. 21 Grahams and Amores Perros - I like Alejandro González Iñárritu movies
8. Most Foriegn Films - City of God (Cidade de Deus), Carandiru, I'm Not Scared (Io non ho paura), Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Love Me if you Dare (Jeux d'enfants), just to name a few.
9. Almost all Focus Film movies - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Motorcycle Diaries and The Painist to name a few.
10. The Italian Job and Snatch - only had ten spots

Well I successfully crammed about 45 films into my top ten list. Until next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kevin I can't believe you were up early enough to write all that. I have to say while I agree with your music preferences, some of those movies are terrible. I didn't see any good girly movies or romance movies on your list. Speaking of movies...you lost a bet and you know which movie you still have to see. You're not going to get out of it so don't bother trying.

Anonymous said...

Chris~~ It's no torture, he just has to sit through a girly movie bc he lost a game. Don't tell me Melissa has never made you do the same!!! :)