Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Bingo Blotters and Mail Tales

Well it has been a while since a wrote, which must be obvious from my corny title. But anyways, I want to tell you that I played a bit of Bingo last night. Not some cheap online version, not some picture Bingo on a road trip, but real Bingo. Do you know why I knew it was real Bingo? It was because there were over twenty people that were at least 100 years old, it was played at a place called Knights of Columbus, whose founders still work there and make up most of the people over 100, and there was a huge electronic bingo board that said "Real Bingo." A few celebrity Bingo players were in attendance as well. The lady that sat next to us, who was from The Nursing Home State, had just won $7,500.00 at the Florida Bingo Championships the month before. Amazing. She said there was over 3,500 people playing in that arena, which is triple the amount of an average WNBA game. We had a strong 350 participants playing, though I think a couple passed away while during the games. But that didn't stop them from playing. Amazing. I don't know if you know Bingo lingo, but they have what you call a blotter that helps you play the game. In stead of using a pencil of a crayola to mark the numbers on your card you can use this blotter. It is basically a shoe polish looking container that dobs out different color ink. They are boring to tell the truth, that is why people, that must have nothing to do, create cute bags to carry all there dobbers and bingo supplies. A normal bingo bag consists of at least 8 dobbers(in pouches lining the outside of the bag), beet sandwiches, Diet Rite, extra hearing-aid batteries, copies of past winning cards, a seat cushion with a bingo numbers design, an empty container for teeth, and a gun. One lady even had a knitted hand that would exstend futher up then her own which had bells on the fingers and Bingo spelled across the palm with yarn. Amazing. I have been to Spurs games that have not had as much tension in the air, as a packed Bingo hall. I think I read on www.theonion.com that Bingo may be in the next Goodwill games, to take the place of gymnastics. I am sure you are wondering, "Well, Kevin how did you do?" I will tell you, I never even came close to winning. I got beat every time. I am going to keep my head up though and maybe after another year of dedication, I will be at the Bingo Championships next year going toe to toe, against the best in the sport, that is if they are still around. Amazing.

I want to take a second and acknowledge a great lady that I have been seeing almost every night for the past 4 years. Her name is Peggy and she works at the busiest and most efficient post office in North America. She has been working there for over 60 years and she is only 39. She is directly responsible for all postage increases, and has a hand in all mail that does not make it to its destination on time. Just Kidding. But she has put up with questions about that for so long she is moving to the back of the main post office, where she will sit on a thrown and throw darts at people that are slacking, and reading your People magazine before you get it. I have been taking mail to her and the others there for 4 years and it will not be the same to stand in line for 3 hours a night and not see Peggy. So here's to Peggy and her new relocation, and may she have another speedy replacement!

Until next time.

No comments: